Friday, May 18, 2012

Know Your History of Cannes

It's that time of the year when I feel like I should be posting sth on Cannes. Here's the thing though: except for the closing ceremony, which I do try to watch live every year, I don't really follow the reports and the reviews from Cannes because I can't stand getting all excited about a film and then having to wait a year, or maybe even more, to finally see it.

However, I do like watching the occasional archival video. And right now, ina.fr has sth even better: a game. At which I suck. Télé Top Chrono tests your knowledge of the history of the Cannes Film Festival. You're basically shown six videos and you have to guess the year they aired as fast as possible. Now, I'm really bad at this, and it's not just that I don't know the history of Cannes. I mean, I don't even remember in what years Mungiu and Porumboiu won their awards, and those were years when I paid extra-attention to this festival. Anyways, the reason why you might want to play this game is that it's a fun way of discovering videos that tell the story of Cannes.

I've already played two rounds, and failed miserably. At first, I randomly guessed one correct year, but then I actually knew the correct year for a video. The video mentioned André Malraux, so I told myself it had to be 1959, the start of la Nouvelle Vague.



Later edit: Speaking of the history of Cannes: A Brief History of Women Nominated for Cannes' Palme d'Or. Emphasis on "brief".

No comments:

Post a Comment